The Equal Pay Commissioner is appointed under s. 40.2 of the Public Service Act and is responsible for the right to equal pay for work of equal value in s. 40.1 of the Public Service Act.
The Commissioner receives and investigates equal pay complaints under the Public Service Act, and helps people resolve disputes about equal pay for work of equal value. The Commissioner also promotes awareness and understanding of the right to equal pay for work of equal value.
Nitya Iyer was appointed on July 1, 2004 as the first Equal Pay Commissioner of the Northwest Territories. Her term expires on June 30, 2008. She is a practicing lawyer in Vancouver, British Columbia, and specializes in equal pay, human rights, and other equality issues.
On this website, you will find the following information:
- the part of the Public Service Act that creates the right to equal pay for work of equal value and a brief explanation of these sections [Legislation]
- information about what the right to equal pay for work of equal value is [The Right to Equal Pay]
- an explanation about how to make an equal pay complaint under the Public Service Act [How to Make a Complaint]
- publications of the Equal Pay Commissioner, including Annual Reports [Publications]
- useful links [Links]
- contact information for the Equal Pay Commissioner [Contact the Equal Pay Commissioner]