(Yellowknife, NT) September 16, 2009 – The Honourable Paul Delorey, Speaker of the NWT Legislative Assembly, will play host to 32 parliamentarians from across Canada during the 31st Canadian Parliamentary Seminar in Yellowknife this week.
“I am thrilled to welcome parliamentarians and officials from Nunavut and every provincial legislature in Canada,” said Speaker Delorey. “In addition to sharing common perspectives on issues facing Canadian parliaments, our guests will get a first-hand view of how the Northwest Territories practices its unique form of non-partisan public government.”
Each fall the Canadian Parliamentary Seminar is hosted by one of Canada’s 15 legislatures. The seminar gives parliamentarians from across the country an opportunity to meet and share perspectives on public life and public policy in a non-partisan forum. The following business topics are scheduled for discussion at this year’s seminar:
• Parliaments’ Relationship with Aboriginal Self-governments (Nunavut)
• Financial Compensation for Elected Members: What’s Fair? (Ontario)
• Quebec’s Newly-adopted Parliamentary Reform (Quebec)
• The New Standing Orders in Ontario – The Impact on Staff and the Public (Ontario)
• Orientation Program for Newly Elected Members (B.C.)
• Consensus Government in the NWT (NWT)
Business sessions will take place in the legislative chamber of the NWT Legislative Assembly. A list of participants is attached.
For more information, please contact:
Hon. Paul Delorey
Speaker of the Legislative Assembly
Toll Free: 1-800-661-0784